Today I read an Indonesian blog namely BillyMambrasar in bahasa Indonesia. I think it is important for us Papuan to realise how good is the impact of special autonomy for Papuan young generation.
Billy explained several points on the impact of special autonomy as follows:
1. Since the legal process of special autonomy law for Papua started in 2001, the program of improving Papuan human resource became one of the most important concern of the government. Education became the top priority based on the budget precentage.
2. After special autonomy fully implemented, education program, scholarship, and access to school are incerased significantly. Many Papuan children and young generation got opportunities to join higher education (including Billy Mambrasar, without special autonomy he could not possibly to enter Bandung Institute of Technology). The number of Papuan intelektual and Papuan your generation with a national and international achievement increased sharply.
3. Investment by the government is good enough. However, the bad management of the database will make us difficult to trace the achievement of Papuan. What we are affraid of is that after the opening of the oppotunities for the bright Papuan, they will leave Papua for good, and never comeback to build Papua. One of the example is George Saa (The Winner of The First Step to Nobel in the US, hopefully he will return to Papua), another is Edo Fonataba who stay in the US after High School. Kaka Nando Tanati now stay is the US also, and there are many others. This is very unfortunate for Papua if it should loose the brightest generation who are hoped as the mover of development.
4. There a vaccum of time before the special autonomy, very small number of Papuan can get access to education as free as in the special autonomy era.
5. There are 2 world class Multinational Company operated in Papua, Freeport Indonesia (FREEPORT Mc.Morran), and BP Indonesia (British Petroleum). BP responsible for the dividing process of Papua Barat, in order to limit the Corporate Social Responsibility.
This Blog has gone through many obstacles and attacks from violent Free West Papua separatist supporters and ultra nationalist Indonesian since 2007. However, it has remained throughout a time devouring thoughts of how to bring peace to Papua and West Papua provinces of Indonesia.