Skip to content

Awaiting justice to be served in Priest Yeremia Zanambani’s death

Awaiting justice for Priest Yeremia

Top commander of XVII/Cenderawasih Regional Military Command Major General Herman Asaribab emphasized that any soldier found involved in the death of Priest Yeremia Zanambani in Intan Jaya, Papua, on Sept 19, 2020, will be punished.

As of Tuesday, Nov 3, 2020, a team of investigators dispatched by the regional military command to probe the shooting case of the priest in Hitadipa Village, Hitadipa Sub-district, had yet to release the result of their investigation.

Asaribab noted in Jayapura, the capital of Papua Province, on Tuesday, that he was awaiting the final result of the investigation.

In connection with this shooting case, Papua Police Chief Inspector General Paulus Waterpauw said he was yet unable to determine who fired the shots at Priest Zanambani.

Hence, the Papua police still refers to them as “unknown people” since the police probe into the case is yet ongoing, and an independent team of doctors will conduct an autopsy on the slain priest, Waterpauw remarked.

On October 21, 2020, Indonesia’s top security minister, Mahfud MD, had revealed that security personnel and a “third party” might have been involved in the priest’s death.

The coordinating minister for political, legal, and security affairs made the statement shortly after receiving the final report of the joint fact-finding team (TGPF) formed by the Indonesian government to probe the recent shootings in Intan Jaya District.

The report was handed over by TGPF head Benny Mamoto in Jakarta on Oct 21, 2020.

Mahfud MD disclosed that on the basis of information and data gathered by the TGPF members during their fact-finding mission, there were indications of security personnel’s alleged involvement.

However, the minister hinted at a possible “thirty party” involvement in the fatal shooting of Priest Zanambani, adding that the government had ordered the National Police and the Attorney General’s Office to handle the case in accordance with Indonesia’s legal system.

The government has also urged the National Police Commission to monitor the process of law enforcement against those responsible for the crime, he stated.

The TGPF wrapped up its fact-finding mission after working for 17 days, starting October 1, 2020.

ANTARA earlier reported that members of the fact-finding team had faced a challenging task in Papua.

On October 9, 2020, a group of armed separatists ambushed them in Mamba Village, Sugapa Sub-district, Intan Jaya District.

The West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) confirmed it was behind the attack on members of the TGPF. One of the fact-finding team’s members and a soldier suffered injuries in the attack.

The TGPF member — Gadjah Mada University (UGM) lecturer Bambang Purwoko — was shot in the leg, while TNI soldier First Sgt Faisal Akbar of the Hitadipa Task Force sustained injuries on his waist.

The Indonesian government established the TGPF to probe a series of deadly shootings in Intan Jaya in September, the bloodiest month in the district this year, with armed separatists mounting a spate of attacks, which left two soldiers and two civilians dead, and two others injured.

On September 19, 2020, an Indonesian soldier died in a gunfight with several armed Papuan rebels near the Persiapan Hipadipa Military Sub-district Command’s compound in the district.

The fallen hero was identified as First Private Dwi Akbar Utomo, according to XVII Cenderawasih Regional Military Command spokesperson, Lt. Col. Reza Nur Patria.

The same day, Priest Yeremia Zanambani was gunned down in Hitadipa Village, Hitadipa Sub-district. Awaiting justice for Priest Yeremia should not be too long.

According to Joint Regional Defense Command (Kogabwilhan) III spokesperson, Col. IGN Suriastawa, the priest died of gunshot wounds after being shot at by armed criminals.

On September 17, 2020, another soldier, Chief Sergeant Sahlan, was reportedly killed in an ambush laid by a group of armed separatists. He was attacked while returning to the Persiapan Hipadipa Military Sub-district Command in Intan Jaya District with food supplies from the Sugapa area.

The attackers seized his gun and magazine, according to commander of the Biak-based 173/Praja Vira Braja Military Resort Command, Brig. Gen. Iwan Setiawan.

Sahlan, a member of the 1404 Pindrang Military District Command in South Sulawesi Province, was tasked with backing up the Village Supervisory Non-Commissioned Officers (Babinsa) of the Persiapan Hipadipa Military Sub-district Command, he informed.

In a separate incident on September 17, 2020, armed Papuan rebels reportedly tortured and killed a 49-year-old Ojek motorcycle taxi driver, identified as Badawi.

On September 13, 2020, armed separatists opened fire at two other Ojek drivers in Sugapa area, but they managed to survive the attack. The two drivers were treated at a hospital in Timika, the capital of Mimika district, Setiawan remarked.

The deaths of both innocent civilians and security personnel is unacceptable, and this cycle of violence must be brought to an end. Anyone responsible for the killings must also be brought to justice to dissuade others from committing similar criminal acts in future.

Awaiting justice for Priest Yeremia news source: ANTARA News

Related news: Papuan killed in gunfight joined notorious armed group year ago

Related news: Jokowi inaugurates TVRI’s West Papua station

West Papua View All

This Blog has gone through many obstacles and attacks from violent Free West Papua separatist supporters and ultra nationalist Indonesian since 2007. However, it has remained throughout a time devouring thoughts of how to bring peace to Papua and West Papua provinces of Indonesia.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: